charity-IT is running a hackathon 17-19 march 2017!
Friday evening / Saturday / Sunday > Enspiral Dev Academy @ 275 Cuba St
This march – charity-IT will be working over a weekend to help fix IT insanity for some awesome charities and not-for-profit organisations right here in Wellington. Its a weekend hackathon full of cool problem solving, great people, good food, and inspiring solutions. And it is shaping up to be a truly awesome event that we know you want to be involved with. Awesome problems to solve (think: database magic; green-fields website; maybe even a web-app?) for some truly great charities that need your help – all at the sweet Enspiral Dev Academy campus on Cuba st!
So if you are a front or back end developer, designer, analyst and other IT guru, join the charity-IT hackathon to amplify the good work done everyday by charities!
Already know enough? Well just go right ahead and register!
At the moment, we are still getting all the details together, and we will update our website, twitter and Facebook as we nail all the little things down. But right now – the key things you need to know are:
- We will supply plenty of really yum food / coffee / good beer and support right through the weekend
- The event if fully agile so you choose your team, you design the solution, and you work directly with the peeps from the charities to solve their problems (representatives from the charities will be on-site throughout the entire weekend so you have full access to the product owner and questions can be answered immediately!) – also – be prepared for stand-ups, post-its and lots of team work 🙂
- On the friday evening, you’ll get an overview of the various charities involved in the weekend and the kind of problems they have so you can work out which you like, and where your skills will be most useful (and don’t worry – we have done a bit of work with them beforehand so we know none of the problems are way too epic for our collective awesomeness!)
Just what is a hackathon?
So what does the weekend actually entail?
Welcome / introductions / meet the charities who will talk about their problems / signing up for a team / team brainstorming & planning / food & drinks!!!
Saturday – Sunday:
Good morning! / coffee / solution design / collaborative solutioning / food / more coffee? / nailing out the chosen solution / more food and drinks!
Present all the good things back to the other teams / high-fives!
Several times throughout the weekend we like to do a big inter-team stand-up so you know what other teams are working on, do any skills sharing and remove any blockers that come up.
- You are kick-arse at IT but can’t see how your job actually helps people
- You want wider agile experience and learn how software is done on the small-scale
- You want want to use your IT skills to help others helping others.
- You want to hang out with a bunch of like-minded IT-ninjas!
Oh god - will I get any sleep???
Is this basically like work?
Plus – I don’t know where you work – but being supplied Pomegranate kitchen for lunch, a nice craft beef at the end of the day (brand TBD) and hells pizza for dinner after working for a freaking great cause doesn’t sound like a typical work day!
Will you feed me at the hackathon?
- ALL THE GOOD FOOD > The weekend is fully catered with really nice food (like seriously nice). You’ll be fed on friday evening, saturday lunch and dinner, and sunday lunch – plus snacks around the clock! At the moment the menu includes: Holy Bagels platters, Pomegranate kitchen lunch amazingness and Hells Pizza amongst others. We have gone out of our way to find yum stuff that actually tastes good and we know you’ll enjoy!
- FREE COFFEE > we have sorted out a tab at Raglan Roast so you’ll be able to wander just around the corner for sweet, sweet caffeine made by the best in town. Just flash your badge, mark off the book, and you’ll have coffee in hand without having to reach for your wallet. And don’t worry – plunger coffee and tea will be freely available if it is gross and windy and you want to just finish up that line of code!
- SNACKS > Snacks snacks and more snacks! Mid-morning munchies, and afternoon sugar lows will be sorted with a variety of snacks on hand.
- BEER > Oh and nice beer too.
- TL:DR: Trust us, you aren’t going to starve
All the food will include options for those with dietary requirements – just let us know during the registration process so we can make sure ya’ll are all fed and happy!
Okay cool - what do I need to bring?
Plus – the event is fully catered (including coffee!) so unless you have a secret snack that brings you superpowers – leave your lunchbox at home!
How do I sign up?
Sign me up!
How are you cats paying for this awesomeness?
Keep in touch with us as we build up to the event. We will keep you all posted with updates as the event comes together via our twitter, Facebook page and on our website so keep checking back. Or if you have any questions and want to chat to a human, email the team on hey@charity-IT.org